Ontario’s cherished summer playground has a winter life you may not have discovered! With exceptional trails and great snowfalls, Muskoka transforms into a winter wonderland equipped to satiate the mightiest adventurer to the coziest reader. Whether you’re seeking a winter family getaway or a couples winter escape, you will find exactly what you’re looking for on Muskoka’s snowy shores. Read on to discover 10 Jayne’s Cottages-approved winter activities in Muskoka!
1. Arrowhead Ice Skating Trail. Ontario’s best kept secret…is not a secret anymore! This 1.3 km ice skating trail winds through the spectacular Muskoka forest and is one of the region’s most popular winter attractions. Located in Arrowhead Provincial Park less than five minutes from Downtown Huntsville, this ice skating trail offers the perfect winter day with the kids or a romantic hand-holding expedition for you and your loved one.
2. Snowmobiling. Muskoka’s vast trail system has some of Ontario’s favourite tracks, stretching from the spectacular shores of Georgian Bay to the snowy pines on the outskirts of Algonquin Park. With over 1,200 km of exceptionally groomed trails, we’ve got your snow!
3. Craft Beer Brewery Tours. Muskoka boasts some of the best craft beers Canada has to offer. Sample and taste seasonal (and other) beers from Lake of Bays Brewing Co. and Muskoka Brewery!
4. Ice Fishing. Those who like ice fishing, like it a lot! Ice fishing is one of those experiences you have to try to really have an appreciation for it. Many times, the fishing comes second to spending quality time with friends and family. Spending a day on the lake in the winter sun with some warm hot chocolate and good company is an excellent way to spend an afternoon in Muskoka. If you succeed, there is nothing more rewarding than cleaning and frying up your catch right on the lake!
5. Snowshoeing. The Muskoka back country is ideal for exploring on snowshoes. With acres of unspoiled forests, you will be able to unleash your sense of adventure as you trek through the light, fluffy snow on one of Muskoka’s many snowshoe trails. Some accommodations have snowshoes available for guests, or you can rent from one of our local outfitters.
6. Ice Skating/Pond Skating. There is nothing like getting back to the roots of our childhood, hearing the sound of your blades carving through the fresh ice of a frozen lake or historic Muskoka arena. Outdoor pond hockey personifies the great Canadian winter, and is the epitome of a genuine Muskoka winter experience. Outdoor rinks are scattered throughout Muskoka for your enjoyment.
7. Dogsledding. The thrill of the Arctic and one of the great Canadian winter experiences is ready for you to try in Muskoka. Mush through the beautiful Muskoka wilderness behind your team of dogs on a guided dog sled excursion. This winter experience is on the bucket list for many and if it isn’t, it probably should be.
8. Cross Country Skiing. Winters in Muskoka bring the ideal conditions for a long cross-country skiing season. With a large variety of groomed trails throughout the Muskoka region, cross country skiers flock from all corners of the province for a winter recreational getaway. A number of resorts even boast their own cross country ski trails so that you can sleep, eat and play, all in one place!
9. Downhill Skiing. Hidden Valley Highlands Ski Area in the heart of Muskoka is ideal for families, and offers great downhill skiing for skiers of all levels with eleven runs, a terrain park, kids camps, childcare, as well as ski & snowboard instruction and rentals. http://skihiddenvalley.ca/
10. Have an Après. The best part about Jayne’s Cottage’s Top 10 ‘Must-do’ Winter Activities is the Après! The origin of Après of course comes from ‘Après Ski’, however Muskoka likes to add Après to all winter activities because it gives us an excuse to cozy up by the fireplace, sip on a warm specialty coffee or a glass of wine, and delight in some light snacks.
Please contact Jayne’s Cottages to learn more about Muskoka’s winter offerings or to have Jayne help plan your fantasy winter getaway.
Jayne’s Cottages wants all our guests to experience the best that Muskoka has to offer. We would be thrilled to connect you with local businesses to help your Muskoka winter fantasies come to life!